My love started both radiation therapy and chemotherapy yesterday to attempt to get rid of any residual tumor cells. My love will undergo 30 treatments of radiation, scheduled at this time to end on June 26. During that time, my love will take a chemo pill each day for a total of around 42 days (it may be a little longer because of the Memorial Day holiday during which the Cancer Center is closed).
My love and I were both a bit nervous about potential side effects to the therapies, especially the chemo pill. I am happy to report that my love has had relatively few side effects thus far. So far the side effects from radiation have been headaches (possibly from the mask my love has to wear which is quite tight) and a metallic taste in my love's mouth after each treatment session. The chemo pill has caused my love's throat to be quite dry. We're very thankful that my love has not had issues with nausea as of yet, and hope and pray that the lack of nausea will continue. The majority of side effects from radiation usually occur 2-3 weeks after the start of treatment as the radiation builds up in the body, and I am unsure when the side effects from the chemo are usually seen, but I would guess that as it builds up in the body as well, there could be more side effects, but that is just me guessing. I certainly hope that the process will go smoothly with minimal side effects.
So yeah, my love has had 2 radiation treatments thus far, so 28 more to go! The countdown is on again!
No comments:
Post a Comment