Friday, May 18, 2012

A Great Day All Around

Well, as many of you know, yesterday was my birthday. I was a little apprehensive about how things would be this year since I'm in Michigan, away from most of my friends and family and we're all dealing with the stress of a lot of unknowns. It really turned out to be fantastic, though, thanks to lots of love and kindness from my family and my love's family.

On Sunday, my love's extended family got together and celebrated Mother's Day as well as my love's grandfather's birthday and they included my birthday in with the celebration. The day before, my love and I made my favorite birthday dessert (strawberry pie), and we enjoyed that along with cake after a delicious lunch of ribs. They even gave me birthday cards and gifts. I felt so included, which really meant the world to me.

Then yesterday, on my actual birthday, I got a call first thing in the morning from my sweet momma. Then my love and I got to go to Naked Plates (an unfinished pottery painting place) and painted a picture frame together. I'm excited to see how it turns out.  While there, my grandfather called me and wished me a happy birthday. Then I came home to cards from my grandmother and the choir I was a part of in Milwaukee. I got to talk with my grandmother as well. Then, after my love's radiation, my love's mom made us a delicious pasta alfredo dinner (which is one of my very favorite things). After dinner I went to my support meeting at Gilda's Club. This week's meeting was much better for me personally. Not only did I not have to deal with people telling me that I should be grateful for what I have and focus on the positive rather than feeling sad and scared and angry (which are perfectly valid emotions), but we also had a nice discussion and I felt like I could relate with a lot of the people in the group and that they could relate to me. After the meeting, I came home to freshly baked and iced, filled cupcakes that my love and my love's mom made for me. My love and my love's parents gave me really great and meaningful gifts and sang happy birthday to me. I also got to talk with my brother and sister in the evening, which was really wonderful as well. And several great people from Milwaukee texted me throughout the day to wish me a happy birthday as well. Not to mention all the well wishes from friends on Facebook. I felt so spoiled and special and included and well remembered all day.

I know it's probably kind of a silly and trivial thing, especially with everything else we all have going on right now with my love's illness, but it really meant the world to me to have a great birthday.

So thanks to each and every one of you that helped make my day great, and to those who are sending good thoughts and vibes my way all the time, I really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment