A few weeks ago, my love and I were laying in bed talking before going to sleep and my love asked me a question. My love said "Will you marry me before I die?" Now, this was not a particularly unique question, as my love likes to ask me "Will you marry me?" and "When?" I, of course, always respond in the affirmative and tell my love we can get married any time, but that I want a pretty dress when it happens. This particular night, though, my love asked, "Will you marry me before I die?" and when I said yes, my love said, "Promise?" I said of course and my love said, "No matter what happens?" I of course reassured my love that no matter what happened we would marry before my love died. At the time, I thought very little of it, after all we're in our early 20's, death seemed so far away from the realm of possibility. Through the last week and a half, I've been thinking about that promise, though. I still have no doubt we will get married, me in a pretty dress and my love in a top hat with a pot luck reception just like we each have wanted. I just pray every moment of every day that it doesn't have to be soon, I'd love for it to be soon, I just don't want it to have to be.
In the hospital, right after the surgery, my love was having a really rough time, a combination of anesthesia, medications, brain surgery, pain, and who knows what else. That night, I sang to my love for several hours straight, the same two lullabies over and over again, nonstop, it was one of the only things that helped keep my love more calm. During that time my love looked at me and said, "This is why I want to marry you." It was so sweet. My love later asked, "Will you marry me?" I of course said yes as I always do. My response made my love, who was a bit out of it, very happy, and throughout the night my love informed parents, nurses, and friends (basically anyone we came in contact with) that we were going to get married. My love also asked about having a potluck reception. My love has wanted this for a long time, but I've kind of been hesitant as many of our guests will have to travel. With all that happened those couple days, I realized how silly I was being, and how all that really matters is our happiness, so I promised my love that a potluck would be in order. So yeah, it will be amazing. Anyway, I still have no idea when or where this wedding will happen, but if anyone finds great deals on wedding stuff, keep me posted, and remember, I want a pretty dress :).
Thanks for sharing your journey with the rest of us, Melody. We're all rooting for both of you. You're in my prayers.
ReplyDelete-- Anne from choir
Girl, you need anything WEDDING, you know where to turn. I got that shit handled :)
ReplyDelete