17 days... seems like both an eternity and the blink of an eye. In 17 days I will be 3 days from turning 23 years old and my love will start radiation and chemotherapy treatments for brain cancer. I still can't believe I'm writing those words. I'm still in shock, yet in 17 days it will happen whether we're ready or not.
We went to the simulation appointment today that was set up by the radiology oncologist. Radiology therapists explained the process, showed us around, made a mask of my love's head to hold it completely still during treatment, took a CT scan, and gave my love a little dot tattoo so that everything will be lined up perfectly each time. I had the opportunity to go into the simulation room with my love for all but the CT scan and tattoo. It was really intense for me. According to my love I acted "awkward," but I don't know how else to act but kind of shocked and scared because that's how I feel. Apparently it wasn't as big of a deal for my love as it was for me, at least that is what my love says.
After all that, we met with scheduling and they said treatment will start at 2:30 on May 14th. We know that the Oncologist wants it to happen sooner, so maybe it will be less than 17 days, it's hard to know for sure. But 17 days at the latest.
In my love's words, "The countdown is on...."
No comments:
Post a Comment