Last night at 5 pm my love and I and my love's parents attended our first meeting with an Oncologist. I was so nervous all day waiting for the appointment, unsure of what it would consist of. I made sure to take some notes as it was quite emotional and needed to get the information straight. The Oncologist explained about the difference between a glioma and a glioblastoma and that he is requesting the actual tissue to have his own pathologists look at it and make sure they come up with the same results as to what kind of tumor it is. I thought that was interesting and good that they are being so thorough. The Oncologist also said that they normally shoot to start radiation 3 weeks to a month after surgery, so it sounds like they will try and start radiation in about two weeks. The radiation will happen over 6 to 7 weeks getting up to a fairly high dose. My love will also need chemotherapy, taken in pill form. It sounds like the chemo will start sometime during the radiation treatment and will be once a day with radiation, then five days a week every four weeks for up to a year after radiation. They are going to have my love go for another MRI on Friday evening to get a baseline and see what it looks like after surgery. We're also scheduled to see a Radiology Oncologist next Tuesday to talk more about treatment and what that will look like. My love will also meet with a neurosurgeon here in the area in case additional surgery is needed at some point, though it does not sound like that will be the first course of attack. It's a lot of scary and intense information that is hard for me to type even now.
Another first today, I met for the first time with my new therapist. She seems okay. We didn't have any sort of immediate connection, but sometimes when you need someone at the last minute, you take what you can. I didn't have any major aversion to her either, which is good. Hopefully she will be able to help me through this journey. I really just need a place to go and talk and sort things out. She made some good points, so I'm hopeful about our therapeutic relationship.
Anyway, a couple firsts in the last 24 hours.
Have been thinking about both of you for the past 48 hours. Hope you were able to get some good information to start processing over. And the only therapist I've ever hated, I knew within about 30 seconds so I guess that's something. It took some time for me with mine, but ended up being exactly what I needed. Hope it works that way for you!!!
ReplyDelete