Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sleeping in yet another different "bed"

I just realized after writing that title that it could be taken a few different ways.... Hopefully anyone who knows me would know that I have been sleeping on "beds" of chairs and couches quite a bit over the last few months, and that I mean that I am going to be sleeping on another this evening. Why am I not sleeping in my bed at home? Because this morning my love moved to the hospice facility Trillium Woods, at least for the time being. My love's nausea came back in full force yesterday and brought along its friend, excruciating pain. My poor love was miserable at home, but also rather stubborn and was reluctant to take additional medications or try other methods of managing the nausea and pain. My love was interested in coming to Trillium yesterday for symptom management, but sadly there were no open beds at the facility. Luckily, one opened up today and my love was here at Trillium by 10:30 this morning. By changing the dosage of one medication and adding a different med for pain, my love's pain and nausea decreased this afternoon. So yeah, that's where we are, so I'll be sleeping either in a recliner or on a pull-out sofa this evening. As far as how things are going, it is hard to say. My love's pain is being persistant and it is agonizing to see someone you love so much suffer and not be able to do much to help. I can call the nurse, and they can try to tame it with medication but sadly it tends to put up a fight.

The chaplain asked me a question today, and I had real appreciation for how he phrased it. He said, "I realize this is kind of like saying, 'Aside from all that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?' But how are you doing?" I felt that it was a really great way to ask that right now, and of course the Lincoln reference was appreciated :). When he asked that question, this morning as I was on my way out the door to pick up a mushroom and cheese pizza that sounded good to my love, I was able to answer him honestly that I was doing well. Tonight my answer would be more along the lines of "I'm hanging in there..." but I suppose that's pretty normal. I'm tired and stressed, but hanging in there. Looking forward to my therapy session tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment